Teamwork Makes the Dreamwork

GOATS 1 Comment

Leadership…

the action of leading a group of people or an organization.

Exactly what does it mean to lead? To hold a position over someone? To have someone report to you? Maybe to give orders to others around you? If that’s the definition, I would disagree. But with that in mind, how do you lead something or someone? I would dare to say, support. Leadership is looking out for the person next to you, providing support for those to the left and right of you. In good times, and bad.

In sports, oftentimes the position of leadership is given to those typically called a, “captain”. A person who is sought after or looked to for guidance and direction on and off the field of play. However, too frequently I’ve experienced people in this position that lack (what I believe to be) the necessary skills to be called a captain or a leader. Often in my experience I’ve seen people given leadership positions due to bias and popularity rather than those capable and mindful enough to make decisions best for the team and [the] people they represent.

While VfB Stuttgart may have its “captain”, Christian Gentner, it’s the fans and city’s support that lead the franchise. In the midst of facing regulation (demotion) from last seasons’ performance, this didn’t deter anyone from showing up and supporting there team. I wonder what would happen if the fans decided that after a bad season they would no longer attend the games. What would happen to the franchise? How would the team receive its funding? How could the team afford its players? Without each and every individual from the owner, coaches, players, staff, and fans doing their part to contribute the organization would crumble. So it is with business entities as well.

Within an organization every person has a unique part that they play in the business’ success or failure. We all need and support one another. One person cannot say to another because their position is greater, “I have no need of you,” on the contrary, the parts that seem to be unnecessary are indispensable. Without the custodian, where would the cleanliness of the facilities be? Without the facilities, where would the fans be? Without the fans, where would the organization generate its revenue? Without revenue, would the team exist? Everyone plays a unique part and we all lead our organizations in our own way. I don’t believe we need authority in order to lead, rather how you conduct yourself without authority could determine the type of leader you are. In good seasons and bad [seasons], the decisions we make today affect our organizations tomorrow and change where we are headed in the future. I encourage us all to take pride in your leadership position today and consider where we’re taking our organization tomorrow.

One thought on “Teamwork Makes the Dreamwork

• Andrew Schoeneman

Love these thoughts, Jonathan. The idea that it takes everyone in an organization to participate and contribute is powerful. Speaking of power, I’m curious how you would relate the idea of power and responsibility in an organization (which usually relates to compensation levels) to the expectation that everyone will maintain enthusiasm in support of the organization. I guess what I’m getting at is whether this is mutually reinforcing phenomenon, i.e. if power and authority differences help to solidify people’s views about how much they should care or how responsible they are for the organization’s success. All that to say, you’ve given us much to think about!