Post for 3/15/21

The Yellow Wallpaper was a really interesting reading. I have read it before, but reading it again made me recognize things I didn’t before. For instance, I thought it was interesting that my interpretation switched (from the beginning to the end) from the narrator being in a nice summer house to her being locked up by her husband and scared. In the beginning she described her beautiful house that she was staying at with her husband, and then by the end was seeing things on the wallpaper. It seemed as though she was trapped, and possibly against her own will.

I also thought podcast #11 was really interesting because I have never thought of entertainment as more than just entertainment. The close reading part as well as the fact that every story has a lesson, made me thing of The Yellow Wallpaper. I wondered what the lesson in this story could be. While thinking about it, I thought this story could just be fictional and a form of entertainment, but after hearing the podcast, I realized there had to be more. I came to the conclusion that it’s possible the story was about a woman who was struggling with a mental disorder and her husband didn’t know what to do with her. By locking her in a room, she only got worse instead of better. This brought me to the conclusion that the lesson could be that without some freedom and outdoors time, anyone would go mentally insane – and possibly even start to see things on the wall.

3 thoughts on “Post for 3/15/21

1. Madyson Fitzgerald

I also think that when people say “entertainment” we automatically start thinking about television and celebrities. Entertainment is much more than that, and after we realize this, it can be easier to understand it as a form of learning.

2. Oona Elovaara

This was also my second time reading it, and I also noticed more details this time around. When I first read it, I agree that it seemed to start off as a nice innocent story of a summer home, but it turned into so much more than that. I am really glad we are learning about things like this because I think it will be very helpful in life to see that entertainment is so much more than just celebrities and red carpets.

3. Alejandra De Leon

It makes me wonder what your initial thoughts were when you first read it. And the fact that entertainment is just entertainment, for me I would always think of movies or TV shows and forget about literature being entertainment. However all the entertainment does have a message whether or not we acknowledge or recognize it is something else. But it is important to see that and its really cool that you were able to reread and recognize a message.