Blog Post for 4/15

At first when reading “Yellow Wallpaper”, I was a bit confused to say the least especially with how it related to the class. But after reading it closer and reading up about it I further understood the larger meaning of Yellow Wallpaper being the societal oppression of women in the US. Relating it back to our past class, I thought about the power that popular culture can have, regardless of what form it is in, in addressing important issues whether that is systemic racism or female oppression. Stories like “Yellow Wallpaper” begin conversations between people about the male control over women and the need for female empowerment. Realizing the deeper lesson that goes along with the wife’s deteriorating mental health requires close reading.

With any story, it is essential to use close reading to understand the greater meaning of the work regardless of whether it is hidden or not. As we continue on with our education, each year has only seemed to further stress the importance of looking deeper at things and asking why and how along with understanding different perspectives and the context. In order to truly understand these stories or other elements of popular culture and fully examine/talk about them it requires a greater grasp of the lessons/content. But this brings up a greater issue in our current society, as not everyone is willing to look deeper into these stories and discuss the potential issues that it brings up like female oppression which still exists today. But more information can be spread/addressed by continuing to have these conversations in both formal and informal settings.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post for 4/15

1. Helen Strigel

I agree that a lot of female oppression still exists today but in harder to recognize forms such as buried in poplar culture like this example. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are still not willing to look deeper.

2. Michael Childress

I definitely had to reread this a couple times before I understood the message too. However, I think that was done intentionally. throughout the piece, the wife can never really refer to her illness or struggle, but rather has to hint at it or act like it isnt happening.