blog for 4/15

Everything that has a story has a lesson (Bezio). I think this is a super important point to remember when reading anything, whether it be news or an actual story. Recognizing that everything has a lesson to learn so that the reader dives in and really reads and understands the words and context is essential for any reader. Whether it is a good lesson or a bad one, finding it and utilizing it in the real world can be really useful when examining and analyzing literature.

Also, that whole story replay confused me. I thought it was a possessive husband like locking up his wife in the castle because she was “sick” and needed rest. But by the end, I am thinking this woman who wrote this is the perspective of the woman in the walls and she is a crazy psycho or she is dead and this dude can’t let go of her. The whole wallpaper thing is creepy. The fact that the author is writing about a woman stuck in the wallpaper and how she believes that the woman gets out during the day is weird. But I looked up the story and “yellow wallpaper symbolizes societal oppression of women in American society” (Google), so the story is basically about the oppression of women and how women can be belittled into almost children just following orders by dominating family members, especially husbands.

2 thoughts on “blog for 4/15

1. Christopher Wilson

When I first read “The Yellow Wallpaper,” I too was confused by its underlying message. Thankfully, we now have the tools to understand it better, but I wonder if stories are told too complexly, will they ever have the chance to convey their messages they contain.

2. Michael Childress

I was definitely confused when I first read the yellow wallpaper. However, reading it this time with the knowledge from reading it the first time made it into a completely different story for me. I think applying issues like this to our “real world” and applying our “real world” to these stories is extremely important. only through these methods can we understand how pop culture affects us, and in turn how we affect pop culture.