Blog Post 4/13

Harvey’s seven questions are not unique, nor are they revolutionary. However, the questions do create a simplified framework for a leadership plan. “Who are we? Where are we? How are we doing? Where are we going? How will we get there? Why should we care? Do we understand?” are all questions that we are asked and ask ourselves fairly regularly. The first thing I thought of when I read the questions was The Who? What? When? Where? Why? writing philosophy that was pushed all throughout Elementary, Middle, and High School. Obviously the questions are a little different but the ethos is the same. Both sets of questions focus on a deep analysis of the details and goals. The Five W’s usually focus on an outside party and as a result are less introspective. Harvey’s questions are all about knowing oneself and the group intimately. Leaders can use the questions to accurately assess if the group is on the right course of action. Furthermore, how a group wants to be identified and what its true group identity are can be seen by the leader answering these questions. I believe that followers or the group can best use Harvey’s questions to ascertain whether they want to remain as part of the group, maintain the status quo, or ascend to a leadership position. If a follower does not like who the group is or where they are going or the plan to get there then he or she might choose to cut ties. On the other hand they can also try to change the group from within by attempting to become a leader. I think Harvey’s questions allow for the necessary introspective questioning that is necessary to be an effective leader or follower.

On a different note, I find it fascinating the things that modern society considers “high culture,” when it was sometimes created to be “low culture” during its time period. As Dr. Bezio pointed out, Shakespeare is a great example with mom and fart jokes galore. I wonder what pieces of our culture will ascend to the status of “high culture” in the future. I hope it isn’t reality TV.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 4/13

1. Sofie Martinez

I completely agree with your comments on high culture and low culture. I think we have so many normalities in our society that veer off from what is natural to human beings. A lot of these cultural norms are going to be shunned in the future I’m sure, but I do question what kinds of cultural patterns will be distinctive of the 21st century. Hopefully nothing too terrible like how we destroyed the planet or nuked each other to death… we’ll see I guess.

2. Helen Strigel

I think you make a really insightful connection that these five W’s can be directly tied to people’s participation within a group.

3. Jennifer Schlur

I really liked your point about “high culture” and “low culture” because that resonated with me as well. It seems confusing to me that Shakespear that is arguably considered very “high culture” now was once considered “low culture”, full of inappropriate jokes. I think it really goes to show the influence popular culture has on society and the influence society has to define popular culture. I wonder what things that are currently considered “low culture” will be considered “high culture” in the future and vice versa.