Blog Post 4/6

Dr. Hayter’s seems especially relevant in today’s political climate. Both close to home and across the country, racism is infecting us. I will not delve into the Board of Trustees questionable decision making recently, as I believe it is likely we are all decently well versed. The voting restriction laws passed in Georgia is the most recent example of lawmakers disenfranchising minority voters. The restriction of absentee ballots, stricter ID laws, and the near absolute removal of drop boxes among other dangerous changes poses a real threat to a supposedly democratic system. What I found most interesting about the annexation of Chesterfield County and today’s voter restriction laws are the financial ramifications. Individuals on both sides of the annexation, and how it would affect black voting, saw it as necessary to combat flagging tax revenue in the city because of white flight. The way activists balanced the financial needs of the city, which they lived in, and the fight for voters rights is impressive. The activist found a method for success, at that time, that enabled proper representation and provided more money for Richmond. The financial ramifications of Georgia’s new voting laws are potentially even larger. Leadership from nearly two hundred of the nation’s largest companies spoke out yesterday (April 2nd) condemning all actions to restrict voting. In arguably the most damning stand against Georgia’s new law, Major League Baseball(MLB) has pulled its All-star game, its festivities and the MLB draft from Atlanta, Georgia. These events would have brought countless millions of dollars in revenue and taxes to the surrounding areas. However, in a joint decision MLB and the Players Association decided that holding the game in Atlanta would not be commensurate with the sports ideals. Playing the game in Atlanta would have been especially hypocritical in light of the fact the game was meant to honor Hank Aaron, the Atlanta and Milwaukee baseball and civil rights icon. Dusty Baker, a former teammate of Aaron’s in Milwaukee and the current manager of the Houston Astros, thinks Hank would be proud of baseball’s decision to stand up for voter rights and move the All-Star Game. MLB most likely will not lose a lot of money from their decision. Some sponsors may disaffiliate from MLB, but inevitably some organizations are going to be more willing to get in bed with them. However, the state of Georgia is the big loser. Corporations are showing that there will be financial ramifications to endorsing voter suppression.

On a different note, I found Dr. Hayter’s article very easy to read and enjoyable. The succinct writing style made it easier to stay engaged. Furthermore, the placement of the notes at the end created a more aesthetically pleasing article. The section headers helped clearly delineate the flow of the article. I may just like reading history more than philosophy (I think that one is pretty obvious) or other humanities’ genres. Regardless, I though the article was clear in getting its point across.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 4/6

1. Sophia Hartman

First off, I definitely agree about the layout and construction of Hayter’s work, and I think I too much prefer reading history to philosophy, although I enjoy applying philosophy to the history I’m reading. Second, I agree that MLB pulling its All-Star Game was a critical part of the response to Georgia’s new voting law. I think it’s interesting to see how major sporting events or the actions of players during events can be such a powerful a form of activism. Often, I think people have viewed sports as an apolitical thing—I know growing up in a place where my classmates did not always share my beliefs, talking about sports was a way to relate without diving into conflict or tension—however, the reality is that sports, especially on the national level, have historically played a role in social or political movements. I’m curious to see the impact this may have with Georgia’s voting laws.

2. Sophia Picozzi

I remember I took Hayter’s class last semester and he told our class that he hated reading academic writing because it was so complicated and hard to read for no reason. I can definitely see a difference in his writing then some other readings we have to read.