3-29-21

What stuck out to me most from podcast #7 was the statement that “Systems management should not be done by a single leader.” This quote truly stuck with me throughout the duration of the podcast as I kept realizing how many forms of system management exist within everyday life. While I agree that multiple people are needed to maximize system management I also think too many opinions make for a disaster. A happy medium must be found in order to successfully go about systems management.

Another point of interest for me was the claim that systems management is “most successful when run cooperatively.” Cooperation in any scenario has multiple sides. However, one question I have is what if the system trying to be managed refuses to cooperate? What happens then? This can be seen all throughout the world and especially within the United States. With our country extremely divided, how do we begin to not only compromise but cooperate to build a better future?

2 thoughts on “3-29-21

1. Oona Elovaara

I think you make a lot of great points here. I agree that a system needs to find a good balance between one single leader and a team of leaders. I do think if there is a single leader, there needs to be a team of people supporting and guiding them. But if there are too many people in charge, that leads to too many varying opinions which can be counterproductive if nothing gets done and decisions aren’t made because no one can agree. I also think that cooperation and compromise can be difficult to access because who is to decided who needs to compromise and who needs to cooperate?

2. Miriam Gilman

I think these are some good points that really get to the heart of why systems fail. If we don’t have cooperation, then the system begins to fall apart. This is why every system is so delicate and none of them will ever be perfect. We need to be fluid and work to always be the best we can be and encourage others to do so, but at the end of the day, every system has a weak point.