Millennium Village Simulation

We used this game in one of high school classes a few years ago, but this was much harder than I remember it being. The first couple rounds I was really just trying to figure out how I could best divide up the family work hours to produce enough crops/food and collect enough firewood and water. I think eventually I found a good balance, but it took a little while. When the firewood was low in the town, I limited the amount that each family in the village could collect. I also tried to invest in a small business every game so the family could earn more income. Honestly, some parts of the game were very frustrating and I am not sure if it was because I didn’t know how to play that well or if the game was just really challenging to begin with. Every game my maize production was too low, no matter how hard I tried to increase our farming and resources. Also, every single time that I grew any cotton, it wouldn’t sell at the market and I would lose hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the crop going bad or not selling and loss of transportation money. Towards the end of the game, I just decided never to grow cotton again. I also struggled with keeping Kodjo and Fatou alive at times. They would get a sickness or disease, and health would be around 60%, so I would take them to the doctor and make sure they had enough food and water, and then they died. This happened many times and I didn’t know what to do or how to fix that. By the last game I played, Kodjo and Fatou were able to have a child. When Fatou was pregnant, I significantly decreased her work hours and gave her more calories to eat, but unfortunately the child died pretty quickly. Overall, the game was a good learning experience to show how difficult it is to get out of poverty and even just to survive within poverty, and I can’t imagine experiencing these burdens in real life, because this is not just a game.

2 thoughts on “Millennium Village Simulation

1. Hayley Simms

You’re last point—that this Millenium village simulator isn’t just a game—really resonated with me because that’s how I kept viewing it unintentionally. I wanted to “win” so to speak, but this isn’t about winning, it’s a reflection of real-life survival issues for people living in these conditions. It’s not some hypothetical, it’s extremely real, and we are beyond privileged just to be even “simulating” this concept of extreme poverty, food, and water insecurity.

2. Hiroki Cook

You are right with your assessment, this simulation is not just a game. Billions of people around the world experience this daily. It seems unbelievable that people are faced with this situation daily. The goal for these people is just to survive, it’s economically infeasible to attempt to establish their own business or attend school. There’s no space for upward mobility.