Impossible Reading Response 4/20

COVID-19 Warning:

What stood out to me most in this reading was a quote in the first section, “the problem is not that we have so little power. The problem is that we don’t use the power that we have” (49). I think that especially today, when it feels like we aren’t in control of what’s happening around us, it is important to remember the power that we have.

This also reminded me of Jepson, and what the school is trying to accomplish. I think one of the biggest things I’ve taken away from my time in Jepson so far is that it doesn’t matter how big or small you think your impact is – at the end of the day you whatever you can do to make meaningful change is important. Especially in the current COVID-19 pandemic, this is even more important to keep in mind. We may feel powerless while in quarantine, and don’t think that our individual actions matter as much in the grand scheme of things. But ultimately, the smallest things we are actively doing (staying home, social distancing, etc.) is saving lives. I also think that there are even smaller things we could do that can take back our power. Reaching out to friends and family members, going to the grocery store at less popular hours to avoid crowds, or even going for a walk (6 feet apart) with a friend can make us feel more human in a time where we’ve lost almost all of our outside physical connections to the outside world.

4 thoughts on “Impossible Reading Response 4/20

1. Emily Anastos

I think this realization is so key during this time like you said. Not only the efforts we take to social distance, but also the ways we can support. Such as ordering takeout from struggling restaurants.
    I recently read a story about a young boy who heard about how nurses found facemasks uncomfortable behind their ears. This little boy made this small little plastic bar that allows facemask to connect behind one’s head and donated them to his local hospital. This small little piece of plastic solved a small issue for nurses which ultimately allows them more comfortable during their long days working under conditions never seen before. It’s those little things we can do from home that can have an impact and if we are so focused on the bigger issue we might not be able to make any change at all.

2. Sarah Houle

I really understand that point that you are making about how even the smallest contributions (like staying at home) right now helps with combating the pandemic. In my hometown, there has been a bit of disregard towards the stay at home order issued by Northam. People I went to high school with believe that it does not matter if they are leaving their homes to hang out with friends because it is friends that they see all the time or they are still staying below the six (?) person maximum for a gathering. They do not realize that even the smallest contribution to staying at home helps at a time like this.

3. Leah Hincks

I like how you said the this reading reminds you of Jepson. I like to think that by being a leadership major that I am learning how to use my skills to make an impact in the world. That may be a small impact but if every Jepson student does that, then the impact can be much bigger.

4. Henry Herz

Like I wrote about in my blog post, I wasn’t sure how to think about that quote. On one hand, we should absolutely do more with the power we have than we’re currently doing. However, that really doesn’t change what the person they were responding to was saying. It doesn’t change the giant problems we face.