Let’s Not Forget the Farmer- 1952 Stevenson

I watched the ads of the 1952 campaign Eisenhower vs Stevenson. My favorite ad was “Let’s not Forget the Farmer” supporting for Adlai Stevenson. The ad was a jingle that begins by mentioning  the Great Depression in the 1930s and how it affected the agriculture and economy. The recession in the economy greatly affected farmers, who depended on selling their crops to sustain themselves. Because of the deflation of crop prices, they were not able to afford their livelihood (like many other Americans during this time period). The jingle then leads to their current time of 1952 and talks about how the farmer will vote for Stevenson because Stevenson would know what to do during a time of recession.

This ad used the jingle that everyone knows about – old McDonald. It was a tune that I imagined resonated with many Americans. Especially as during the 50s, farming and farm families was still a very big business and very prominent. I imagine hearing this ad provided comfort to farmers who Eisenhower did not mention about at all in his campaigns. The jingle created a unity between all people.

Although Stevenson did not win the election, watching his ads showed he was for the common man. However, his ads did not show any concern for the Korean War and his input on it- which many Americans were worried about. I liked the ad I chose because it was easy to follow the jungle and rhyme of his ideas. I think this was the best ad out of the others as I thought the others to be boring and repetitive, not giving himself the platform to share what he would do with his presidency if he were elected.

Here is the link below:

http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1952/lets-not-forget-the-farmer#3950

3 thoughts on “Let’s Not Forget the Farmer- 1952 Stevenson

1. Donald English

I imagine this tune stuck with a lot of people as they went about their days after hearing it. I think that makes it an effective ad and it was a good strategy to use Old McDonald because now people would associate it with him.

2. Sarah Houle

While I understand the emphasis on farmers, especially from a candidate that is appealing to the populist vote, which it appears Stevenson was. However, I think appealing back 20 years to the Great Depression is a kinda weird move for a political ad. Especially, when the president during the Great Depression was also a Democrat.

3. Kostro Montina

It was pretty strange to see a political ad like this not gonna lie. The tune was pretty catchy so I guess it was a good strategy.