Advertisements

My favorite ad, or rather series of ads, would have to be those that have come over the years from Old Spice. Their ads do an excellent job of garnering the viewers attention, and convincing them to purchase their product. Old Spice’s most successful advertisement is one they title “The man your man could smell like”, and it displays a character viewers are likely to try to model themselves after. In a humorous way, the main character increases his level of affluency and ability over the span of thirty seconds, switching from being in the shower, to riding a white horse along a beach with a handful of diamonds. This commercial takes a satirical approach to the usual attempt to make viewers feel a sense of a need to improve themselves, yet it is still seemingly succesful.

Old Spice also centered many of their advertisements for years on Terry Crews, who is known for being loud, enthusiastic, and very strong. The advertisements mainly compose of him screaming, playing instruments, and doing other ridiculous acts to capture viewers attention. This pairs nicely with the already present celebrity appeal. By having Terry Crews seem somewhat absurd, the ads almost make viewers feel that they are similar to the celebrity, as they share the same sense of what is funny. These ads have certainly led me to buy Old Spice soap more than I otherwise would have, as when my usual favorite brands are not available, I recognize their products as well accepted, and mainstream. This shows the power of implicit messaging in advertising, even when ads seem to have a main goal of appearing somewhat irregular.