Bezio Pericles and “Brexit”

In Bezio’s essay, there is a large discussion over England’s past government, and how it has shifted, in both directions, between absolute monarchy and more of a democratic state. There is a lot of comparison to Shakespeare’s Pericles, which I find intriguing and relevant for me specifically because my research project is based around the Royal Family, and I have honed in on the levels of power between Parliament and the Royal Family in my recent findings. Based on Pericles and Shakespeare’s time, decreasing personal ownership of the state helped preserve a type of monarchy that allowed for democratic pieces which led to a sort of “modern Western nationalism.” All of this information was led into a discussion over the “Brexit” vote, which I believe is unnecessary and should not take place. But then again, I am a part of the “under 45” population who are generally against Great Britain seceding from the European Union.

Those under 45 tend to side with the idea of a sense of a global community, rather than a national community. Belonging to the entire globe rather than just England is also a characteristic that was depicted in Pericles. Those under the age of 45 have had the privilege of growing up in an age where the global community has been connected both physically, through further opportunities in travel, and technologically with the new advancements of social media. Much like Marina, these people are able to identify with the global community, rather than just the English community. I agree with Bezio’s final statement that we must continue with this sense of globalization, just as Marina did. While it may not be extremely obvious to those over the age of 45, those coming of the age of leadership in Great Britain will hopefully be able to uphold a larger sense of community that expands further than the national borders.

2 thoughts on “Bezio Pericles and “Brexit”

1. Leah Hincks

I think that it is interesting that there is a difference in opinion between generations. I have never thought about how globalized our generation is, because it is all we have ever known. However, our grandparents and even our parents grew up without an immediate connection to other countries and cultures, giving them a different opinion.

2. Sophia McWilliams

I liked the comments about how these different generations have different “mindsets.” But I am wondering, how will this transition into what we expect and want from leaders? Will our definition of leadership change? How do we then cope with this mismatch of leadership from other generations?