Reading Response 3/3/20

I was most intrigued by the concept of the Volunteer’s dilemma which is a concept I had never learned about before. I was most fascinated by the idea of the “great loss” which could result from this dilemma; seeming almost greater than the risks of losses of the Prisoner’s dilemma. Specifically the idea that if one party waits too long to act, then the resulting loss can easily be “devastating.” I think that this Volunteer’s dilemma is maybe even more relevant than the much more mainstream Prisoner’s dilemma and can be applied to more scenarios all across the board. One quote which really resonated with me regarding this dilemma is: “When fear holds us back, it can be others who suffer.” I think that this is too common of a problem and too often holds too many people back from doing the right thing. One example that I personally thought of is the U.S. Healthcare system in which many are afraid to vote for these policies which would promote universal healthcare to ensure people do not die or suffer because they do not have access to adequate healthcare. Those who are too afraid to vote for these policies ultimately by not acting are letting others suffer and die which is as drastic as the “devastating loss” I envisioned. People need to start taking bolder stances and doing this more quickly to avoid the loss which comes with this dilemma.

3 thoughts on “Reading Response 3/3/20

1. Emily Anastos

I also had not heard of the volunteer’s dilemma but had done work and readings on all of the other concepts. I agree that this concept is the most prevalent in society and I wish it was talked about more. The example fo healthcare is spot on, society waits so long to take action, vote, and speak out, and it causes harm. We have this idea in our head that ‘no action = no outcome’ when in reality the lack of action creates that loss.

2. Rashel Amador

The volunteer dilemma reminded me a lot of the bystander effect. You hope someone else acts on something so you would not have to, but how do you know that somebody will volunteer themselves to help the cause? If no one acts, the affect is more detrimental to the problem.

3. Jesse Chiotelis

What you mentioned about how “many are afraid to vote for these policies which would promote universal healthcare to ensure people do not die or suffer” is something that is very interesting and infuriating. The response of “just doing nothing” is out dated.