Reading Response March. 4

In Rock, Paper, Scissors, I was interested by the game of chicken. A dangerous game where two individuals hold out until one loses. The author revealed the difficulty as there is not an apparent solution if two parties are unwilling to give up. The example of the Cuban Missile Crisis highlighted how even the brink of nuclear catastrophe rested on a game of chicken between President Kennedy and Premier Khrushchev of the Soviet Union. In less dire instances, the author expressed the importance of having credible threats. If the chicken game is to be played on multiple occasions, it will no longer have a matrix with equal strategies and outcomes. The solution the author gave was fascinating because it was coordination and communication. I thought that this seemed simple for complex issues such as the Cuban Missile Crisis. However, I realized that the Cuban Missile Crisis was prevented because each leader backed down from an extremely dangerous place. It is ironic that a rational matrix can be used to explain such irrational decisions of two parties. This chicken game occurs because individuals wish to outperform each other. What is rather worrying about the chicken game is the fact that there is not a definitive solution for more than two parties. If three parties are in contention with each other, coordination and communication is harder to achieve. I found that this thought experiment was fascinating as I recognized it in my own life as well as in multiple historical examples.

One thought on “Reading Response March. 4

1. Anna Marston

Chicken was also a very interesting scenario to me, as I’d heard of the premises of this dilemma but never had a name to it. In Leadership 101, we watched a film about the Cuban Missile Crisis and we were able to see how this situation manifested itself. It makes me wonder if there are other famous historical accounts where Chicken occurs and if we can apply the same reasoning.