Reading Response – Prescription Requirements

Reading this article was a very odd experience for me. Initially, I strongly disagreed with the conclusion Jessica Flanigan was arguing. I don’t think we should allow people to simply self-medicate, as that often leads to addiction and to making the problem worse. However, as the article went on, I began to realize I agreed with her premises and sub-conclusions. I certainly think people have the right to refuse treatment, however faulty I might view their justification, and I believe in the general principle that people have the right to do whatever they want to their own bodies as long as they don’t hurt others. However, despite agreeing with all of that, I still stubbornly disagreed with her overall conclusion. But why? Even while I’m writing this, I honestly don’t know. I will need to do some more thinking to ultimately decide where I fall on this issue, especially since it isn’t a topic I’ve really put any thought into before.

5 thoughts on “Reading Response – Prescription Requirements

1. Nadia Iqbal

I definitely agree with having this bizarre reluctance to truly agree with the argument. A part of me wonders if I’m personally reluctant to have things changed, period. Both sides seem valid, but with that uncertainty, I just want to keep to the status quo …

2. Sofia Torrens

I completely agree, I disagree with the overall conclusion of the argument however when I was reading it what Flanigan was saying made sense. I think that this is a very hard argument to deal with because there are so many risks of addiction, abuse, and death, however it is hard to say that you disagree with everything she said.

3. Sophia McWilliams

I very much relate to your point about how you still find yourself disagreeing, even though she presented her argument rather well. I think the reason we both still disagree is due to practicality. Her reasoning makes sense and her evidence is well presented. But would this actually work? I do not think so. How could we all effectively self medicate, with little worries of abuse, wrongful treatment, addiction, and more. While her argument is strong, I find myself still unconvinced.

4. Nikhil Mehta

The reluctance to agree comes from the mindbug that is in our heads from our understanding of pharmaceuticals. The reasons that most people would disagree are the misperceptions that people would abuse or misuse the drugs, when there is little actual evidence to support that. It is easy to see the opioid epidemic and worry that would be the same case for other pharmaceuticals, but there is no actual reason to believe that.

5. Samuel Senders

I completely agree with refusing to accept medication because that affects no one else but yourself. As oppossed to someone who abuses medication and administers their own drugs is a drain on society. They are un-productive, ustable, and unable to provide for themselves which means others have to care/provide for them.