Flanigan Reading Response 3/2

Flanigan’s article presented an argument that I have never come across before, I had never heard of DIC before and reading about it was interesting. Although in the end, I concluded that I disagreed with the conclusion (as a result of my view of the medical profession, personal experience, and biases), I did think the argument was very convincing and clear. I  completely agreed with the importance of being completely informed.  The first example of risky access vs risky refusal made sense to me the way it was laid out. People should be able to decide to or not to go down the medical path the doctor prescribes/recommends and should definitely be given all accurate and complete information to make an informed choice. By the logic laid out, I understand the inequity in the risky access. But then why do we have doctors? Their job is to be able to conclude and explain the best solution for their patient. It is just so subjective, and I would hope that all doctors have the best intention and accurate knowledge to make an informed decision.

Like I said in the beginning, I think that even though this argument was very strong, my experiences have built my view on the topic and I don’t think it will be easily changed. I know that dermatologists can prescribe people medications meant for high blood pressure for people with hormonal acne to use as an acne solution. It is easy to get this prescription with one trip to the dermatologist, and that is still important so one can be informed about possible impacts or side effects. The same thing with ADHD meds, from my experience, it is easy to gain access to them through medical professionals. What I am saying is that the types of medications that are low-risk are fairly easy to get, they are almost self-prescribed. (This is completely my own opinion, this has happened to me where I research medication for acne/skin and asked my doctor about it and I was able to get the prescription, emphasis on personal experience). But when it comes to more serious medications, for example, SSRI’s (the type of medications that are given to people with personality disorders), it is so important that they are prescribed by a medical professional. Not only because it has a big impact on brain function but also because it might be crucial to take medication and also enter into therapy treatment. I just don’t think self-medication can be viewed objectively. All in all, I think it is important to be prescribed by a medical professional, no matter what the medication. I do understand that I believe this because of my personal experience because I have never been in a place where the prescription process served as a barrier.

4 thoughts on “Flanigan Reading Response 3/2

1. Sofia Torrens

I completely agree, I think that the conclusion is wrong because things should be left to the medical professionals. I also agree with the fact that people should be completely informed and know everything important to the decision they are making. I love your example with SSRI’s because people with mental illnesses will have a harder time deciding what medicine is best for them, which is why it should be left to a medical professional.

2. Sophia McWilliams

I really like your point about the SSRI’s. These are medicines that really should be prescribed to people and not widely available. I think that maybe Flanigan should consider widening the scope of non-prescription drugs and not getting rid of a prescription system entirely. While I followed his evidence and train of thought, it just really does not seem like it would work in practice. There are too many flaws and things that need to be considered with this system, like SSRI’s.

3. Robert Loonie

I agree that some things should be decided by medical professionals due to their scope of expertise. I really liked your example of SSRI’s, I had not thought of that when I read her piece and crafted my response. I think you bring up an important point that not all prescriptions are created equal, and there are some instances with mental health issues in which trained professionals really should prescribe medication and would likely be more knowledgeable of relief options than the individual suffering.

4. Imani Mustaf

I agree, I also thought the argument was very interesting. I find your SSIR example very interesting as well. Those kinds of drugs can be harmful if not used properly so it is important the a doctor prescribes them.