Making EdTech PD Relevant and Useful

Professional development is a phrase that can either excite or exhaust educators, and it has been a mixed bag throughout my career. The most effective PD provided me with practical, ready-to-use strategies that I could implement in my classroom immediately. It felt relevant, acknowledging that each teaching context is unique. These sessions addressed my daily challenges as an educator, and when edtech was incorporated, it truly empowered my teaching.

However, I’ve also endured my fair share of ineffective PD. Passive “sit and get” lectures with information overload left me feeling overwhelmed rather than inspired. The worst experiences came from an approach that disregarded the individuality of teachers and students. Also, It’s problematic when PD lacks any follow-up or support, as true learning requires time and support. Edtech, while promising, often fell short. Being handed clunky software or apps with zero training felt like a checked box rather than a means to improve my teaching.

And the ugly PD… The glitchy apps or websites that bring a session to a grinding halt, the fake enthusiasm from presenters trying to make a topic exciting. These moments only feed the feeling that we are wasting our time at these trainings. Looking forward, I believe impactful PD should prioritize practicality, choice, real-world relevance, and mindful technology integration. This could empower learning experiences for educators and ultimately benefit the students we serve. Enough of the passive learning, let’s embrace a future where PD is meaningful, engaging, and transformative for all.