My iPod Changed My Life

Once upon a time in a galaxy far away, technology was nowhere near what we have available today. The advancements we now take for granted—constant communication, instant access to the world’s information, and the ability to listen to nearly any music with just a few taps—were unimaginable back then. In the late 1980s, communication was much slower, information was mostly confined to local libraries, and music was only available through the radio or the latest cassette you purchased (and don’t forget to rewind it!). By the time I could truly appreciate technology, the world had already seen a remarkable leap forward. I vividly remember some key milestones: our family getting our first desktop computer, installing AOL for internet access (oh that terrible sound), playing CDs on a boombox, and receiving a Sega Genesis for my birthday.

By the time I reached high school, communication had taken a significant step forward. Cell phones became commonplace, allowing us to reach friends no matter where we were. At home, cable internet enabled us to use instant messengers without tying up the phone line. But the biggest breakthrough was the creation of the MP3 player—my iPod truly changed my life. For the first time, I could download new music and listen to it faster than ever before, though it did cost 99 cents per song.

In college, my access to the internet expanded even further. For the first time, I had wifi no matter where I was. This level of connectivity continued as I joined the military at 22, leading to more frequent travel than ever before. Whether I was spending four months in California, a month in Estonia, or six months in Afghanistan, access to the internet allowed me to stay in touch with family and friends, no matter where I was stationed.

Technology has provided me with two constants that I don’t know if I could live without. The first is the ability to communicate with friends and family, no matter where I am. This constant communication has allowed me to stay close to loved ones, even from afar. The second is my consistent access to music—whether through iPods, burned CDs, iTunes, MP3s, Bluetooth, or now Spotify. Technology has given me a musical outlet that shaped my adolescence and remains a cherished companion today.