Unnatural Causes: Becoming American

This episode of “Natural Causes” discusses the idea that immigrating to America can actually be detrimental to your health. Mexican immigrants tend to be healthier than the average American upon arrival to the U.S., however, within a few years they physical and mental health starts to decline. The rates of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension are substantially higher within immigrant populations. The video discusses how Mexican immigrants make up over one-fourth of Amador Bernal’s population. One of the immigrants had lived in the U.S. for over 25 years before visiting a doctor. No wonder immigrant populations have such high rates of chronic diseases.

I was surprised by the fact that all major mental disorders increased when researchers looked at people who had been in the country for over 13 years. I believe this is in part due to the fact that we prioritize our jobs so heavily in America. As college students, I believe we are pushed be successful and continuing to climb up a ladder of success. As a result, many students do not know how to combat failure. I think the focus we put on our careers in America compared to other countries can be detrimental to both our physical and mental health.