Chapter 15 and 16

Chapter 15 begins with the author visiting the Lee family when Lia is seven years old. Lia is unable to move or to speak and is a vegetative state. She is stabilized and living at home under the care of her parents. Lia’s parents do a great job of taking care of her, but they still blame the hospital for Lia’s condition. Martin Kilgore, a nurse, helps care for Lia part time and give confusing instructions and intimidates the Lee family with his presence. I thought this chapter was fascinating and I was elated that Lia is has been stabilized at home. The fact that Lia is secured and doing well in the care of her parents is very uplifting. The family has faced so much adversity with the hospital and struggled to get proper care for Lia. It’s great to see that Lia is doing better and can stay home with her family.

Chapter 16 explains how the Hmong people ended up living in Merced. The Hmong people live in the wrong area of the neighborhood in the old Chinatown. The Hmong people made a massive move to Merced after hearing the success of local businessman Dang Moua. Moua moved to Merced from Richmond and had much success causing more Hmong people to move and create a massive economic problem in the town. Merced blames the Hmong people for causing economic instability, but the city already had issues before. This chapter reminded me of a lot of the documentaries we have watched in class. A lot of the documentaries we watched discusses how vital where we live is when we consider our health. The Hmong people live in the bad part of town and are blamed for the economic problems. This related to the documentaries because in a lot of the documentaries it was explained how minorities were forced to live in the poor and bad sides of town due to redlining of neighborhoods. I thought this chapter was exciting and reminded me of how important where you live is to your health. Lia and her family live in the bad area of town and have to go to a worse hospital because of where they live. If the family lived in a better are they may have had better treatment and a better understanding of how to deal with the cultural barrier.