Chapter 11 and 12

Both chapter 11 and 12 were challenging to read because of the very emotional events that happened. Chapter 11 began with Lia having her worst seizure yet. She was transferred to another specialty hospital. At the new hospital, Lia has a violent seizure that lasts for two hours. Lia is declared brain dead after going into septic shock after her infection spread. This chapter was tough for me to read not only because of what was happening to Lia but also because the Lee’s were never properly informed about what was happening to their daughter. The Lee’s did not understand why Lia had to be transferred to another hospital and they believed all the doctors were going on vacation. At the new hospital, the doctors were trying to treat Lia, but no one tried to explain to the Lee’s what was happening and the severity of Lia’s condition. I could imagine that not knowing what was happening was very scary confusing and even frustrating for the Lee’s. I could not imagine having to wait in a hospital for 9 days and not know or understand what was happening to a sick relative. I understand that the doctors were busy trying to treat Lia, but I think more of an effort could have been made to try to help them understand what was happening to their daughter.

Chapter 12  discussed the journey the Lee’s took from Laos to Thailand. The Lee’s had to walk from Laos to Thailand to get to the refugee camp. The family had tried to walk three years early but had been captured by the Vietnamese soldiers. This walk was very treacherous and dangerous especially crossing the Mekong river. Once the Lee’s made it to Thailand one of their daughters died when they arrived at the refugee camp. The camp was not well maintained, and the Hmong’s people had very minimal help from the camps. This chapter was very heartbreaking and very surprising to me because again I had not heard about this conflict. Many refugees were captured trying to escape Laos, and many were trapped and forced to be soldiers. I had not heard about the Quiet war before, and I had not known about how many refugees had been captured and also disappeared from the camps. I was also shocked about how horrible the camps set up by Westerns were. They seemed to not care about the Hmong’s at all. This is another example of a part of history that has been swept under the rug and ignored.