White Like Me

This video segment narrated by anti-racist educator and advocate, Tim Wise, explored avenues in our society where there was (and still is) vast disparities between races. The video hit on topics, like the War on Drugs, the prison system, education, housing, and other aspects of American society in which racial discrimination has been a topic of conversation. Tim Wise goes through the topics above and how they have played a major part in shaping the way our society is structured. It is no secret that being white (or being perceived as white) brings with it a vast number of advantages. Between 1934 and 1962, 98%  of FHA loan recipients were white. That statistic just shows how people of color were given the short end of the stick. White privileges are seen through better job opportunities, housing access and education opportunities. When there have been programs designed to help disadvantaged communities, they have been taken away or funding has been cut because of how the media portrays welfare as a poor, black issue. This is unfortunate due to the fact that the clear majority of whites benefit from government assistance programs. Tim highlights many cases in which a narrative has been spun around black people that turns white people against them. By constantly spinning these stories of how people of color are abusing the system or taking over the country, the political elites can continue to manipulate white racial fears against the other.

I enjoyed this video, because it brought up topics that are even in discussion 5 years later. It brought up various moments in history I was not aware of until now. The way it demystified certain myths surrounding people of color that have been spun in our society was very well done. One particular moment hitting on how people of color have to strive to break down certain stereotypes, especially within the education system, really resonated with me. I have always felt like I needed to act a certain way to be accepted by white people, since they tend to hold positions of power. I thought of myself as an example that black people are not the stereotypes placed on us; we are so much more. When talking about how to move from a post racist society to a more progressive one, I am always at a loss of words. However, this video taught me the holes of logic that are present in a colorblindness ideology. Choosing to close your eyes to the reality is no way to improve the state of our country. Instead of being colorblind, we should strive to be color conscious. We must embrace our past, so we can not repeat the same mistakes. White people must use their privilege in a way that sparks change and motivates others to do the same.