Race: The Power of an Illusion, Episode 3

I thought this was the most powerful of the series of 3 episodes. While I liked the history in the other episodes, I thought that this episode made key points to highlight a lot of the topics that are being debated about race right now in society. Specifically the cases of Takao Ozawa and Bhagat Singh Thind. I think the fact that these two cases happened so close together and were so contradicting showed a lot about the power in this country. It showed me just how much power power can have and how much it can really affect people’s lives. Bhagat was doing no harm to our country and simply wanted to be a citizen of the country that he felt he belonged. These decisions of the supreme court only further showed how exclusive white people were, and maybe still are? Cases like these seem so outrageous we say “oh my gosh I cant believe that actually happened in our country” but I think it is even scarier to think about how not long ago it really was. We think of it as a part of our history but in reality it was a very short time ago.

Additionally, I found the whole discussion of the housing market to be fascinating. When I think the town I live in and the adjacent towns I can see how the housing market is truly affected by race. They are barely any, if any at all, towns around me that I can comfortably say have equal amounts of people from different races. Towns are classified by the type of people that live there. People in power are able to be so selective with their language in a way that it does not come off as racist, but the result of it is. How do we fix the selective and tricky language that people of power are using so that the housing market is not dominated by race? While things have certainly improved from the time in which was in the episode, I personally think there is a lost more progress to be made. This episode, much like the others, opened my eyes to more of the history and reality of this all. I am excited to continue our discussion regarding these topics.