Final Project Topic Proposal: Drake’s Genius in Maximizing Publicity and Promoting his own Brand

7 Mar

For my final project, I plan on exploring how Drake’s musical genius is promoted through his unique brand and public persona. Drake knows how to engage with his fans in ways that maximize his publicity and success in the Hip-Hop/rap world. From the “Drake curse” on sports teams whose jersey Drake publicly posts with, to being the official “global ambassador” for the Toronto Raptors, to filming  part of the music video for “God’s Plan” at The University of Miami, Drake knows how to maximize his publicity with his fans in the US and around the world for the greatest possible music success. Not only is Drake a musical genius with his unique style/sound, but he is one of the leaders in the Hip-Hop music industry in branding himself to maximize his musical success and promote his unique musical genius.

One Reply to “Final Project Topic Proposal: Drake’s Genius in Maximizing Publicity and Promoting his own Brand”

1. This is a copy-paste from another comment, but I need to say exactly the same thing to you 🙂 I think this topic could be re-oriented so it will work, but right now, it doesn’t quite connect with the theme of genius in the way we had discussed it in class. We had critiqued the notion of genius, noting its connection to gender, race, and class, as well as the way it failed to capture the importance of larger social and cultural movements. I don’t see that sort of thinking represented in the topic right now.