Final Project Updated

My topic is:

Colin Kaepernick

I chose it because:

Being that I am an African American, I can relate to the issues that Kaepernick has been addressing.

The pieces of media I am using are:

I will be using different clips from news broadcasts and ESPN talk shows. I will also use Twitter.

The 3 keywords I will be applying are:

Power, Ideology, consumerism

How does this topic speak to media, culture, and identity?

The media has played a huge role in shaping different ideologies on Kaepernick and his movement.

In-class readings/media and scholarly sources I plan to cite are (identify at least 5):

I plan on citing the readings for the keywords I have chosen, “When They Call You a Terrorist,” and the Charlottesville piece.

What is the scope of the project?

The scope of my project will involve using different clips, tweets, and videos to support my argument. I will focus on power and consumerism and how they are very important to my argument.

– What is the video’s argument?

The media plays a bigger role in our lives than we think. I will be arguing that the way in which the media portrayed Colin Kaepernick and his movement contributed to his absence from football for the last two years.

– Is the argument specific? Precise? Supportable?

I believe my argument is precise and supportable.

– Are the keywords appropriate? Are there better keywords to apply?

I believe my keywords are appropriate.

– Can one accomplish these goals in 3-5 minutes and be convincing? If not, how can the project be further refined?

Yes

– Are there other sources that should be included?

For the next class, update your Final Project Description with answers to these questions.

2 thoughts on “Final Project Updated

• November 11, 2018 at 5:58 pm
    Permalink

A reminder to answer these questions so I can give feedback:

– What is the scope of the project?

– What is the video’s argument?

• November 17, 2018 at 5:11 pm
    Permalink

” I will be arguing that the way in which the media portrayed Colin Kaepernick and his movement contributed to his absence from football for the last two years.”

– What exactly are the “the ways”? This needs to be precise and specific. Is it that they portrayed him as “unpatriotic”? Is it that they labeled him as “unamerican”? Is it that certain media outlets/ people tried to argue that that politics has no role in sports? Needs to be specific!

– What is “his movement”? Make sure the viewer understands what he is fighting for/ arguing for.

– How are you going to prove that this was the reason for his absence? I think you can do this but just need to be specific in making a causal argument.