Deadpool and the Logic of Safety

Deadpool-13-1200x675http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/02/20/deadpool-writers-talk-sequel-cable-x-men-and-r-rated-superheroes/#2c83ae9b5407

Over the years, the superhero genre has become quite popular with a variety of movies and tv shows being released every year.  To some extent, the logic of safety seems to be present as these family friendly releases are making a lot of money.  Although this formula seems to work very well, the release of the new Deadpool movie suggest that there may be changes in how superhero movies are made.  Specifically, the success of this R rated movies has inspired Marvel to consider making more R rated superhero movies.  With that said, what do you think about this possible change in the superhero genre?  Would an R rated movie be more appealing to you?  Do you think R rated superhero movies would be successful?   

One response to “Deadpool and the Logic of Safety

1. Chelsea Taylor

So, first let me say I LOVE superhero movies. I think that kids are so lucky right now because all the cool toys they have for some of these movies are pretty awesome, and that is why I am a babysitter! But I went and saw this the other night with my boyfriend who knew the story and he told me to expect it to be crude and unlike anything I had seen before.

As I was waiting for it to start I thought I would be underwhelmed, but actually I think it was great. I think that we all watch these superhero movies and assume that these hero’s are as mighty as Thor and his hammer, but in reality a lot of these guys have a score to settle or have some violent action that propels them forward. I loved how Fox took Deadpool and took a story could have turned into “the bad guy has to be stopped because he’s doing this to other people” into “this guy just took the hottest guy in hollywood (which Ryan Reynolds did such a good job at taking jabs at himself and the other movies) and turned him into an ugly guy who is immortal but also can never get his girl back and that is why he has to be stopped.” I thought that the movie was great, a little crude yes, but it left me feeling like I actually watched what a real “superhero” is, not the one we have dreams of in our head. I also think it was a pretty great love story underneath the violence, which people may or may not agree, but overall I don’t think this is an indicator into where superhero movies are going to go. But I think that Deadpool did break a few barriers and definitely is throwing a curveball into how to attract people into the Marvel universe.