Creed Day 2 Reflection

Righteous Emperor Constantine,

My main goal in the beginning of the council was unity. That being said, I believe that the discussion we had today was extremely successful. We all agreed that sacrifices had to be made and we negotiated to our best interest, but also took our fellow companions words into consideration. I am very pleased with our progress.  On behalf of my faction, the Arians, I would like to say that we had to make many sacrifices to the Creed we proposed, however I believe that those sacrifices were necessary to reach unity and therefore I did not mind making those sacrifices.

Despite not yet voting on the Jesus Christ section of Creed, I believe that if we removed the phrase “God made Jesus exist at God’s own will”–to satisfy the Alexandrians request– then I would gladly sign the Creed, since I am mostly indifferent on this portion.

Furthermore, I believe that the Alexandrian’s changes did make the Creed more clear and removed some unnecessary repetition. The change from “The Father” to “God” also kept the Creed more uniform with the first section.

I also appreciated the usage of scripture in our discussions. I believe that since none of us were there during that time, it is important to use as much “evidence” we have as possible. I hope we continue to use scriptures in future discussions.

Again, if we keep the Creed as is (with the removal of the phrase mentioned above) I will be more than willing to sign off on it. I would like to thank both the Arians and Alexandrians for their flexibility and I hope that future discussions will be similar to how the discussion went today.

Respectfully,

Meletius