Thoughts on Day 3 of the Council

I was very disappointed with how day three of the Council went. I thought we would spend a few minutes finalising the paragraph of the creed that dealt with the Son then move to the Holy Spirit, but that was not the case. We spent way too long going back and forth with each other in a meaningless argument. It seemed like any concrete evidence that was presented from scripture was not enough for the Alexandrian side to consider our point of view or agree to remove statements representing their beliefs from the creed. The Arians even agreed to remove the word “begotten” from the creed even though there are many scriptures that refer to Jesus as being begotten. I am frustrated with how the Alexandrian side would not compromise and I would even go as far as to walk out of the meeting tomorrow if we cannot reach a resolve quickly. Arguing about doctrine is a waste of time that could be better spent doing the things that God commanded us to do. Matthew 23:37-40 says, “Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” This argument about Jesus does not affect how we love God or our neighbours, which is the basis of Christianity. We could still love God and our neighbours despite of what we think about the origin of Jesus. I just hope that we are more productive tomorrow and we could properly discuss the Lapsed Christians and Metropolitan Bishops.