Day 3 Thoughts–Alexander

Day 3 of the Council was a stressful and frustrating day. We did not pass a Creed which accurately reflected the nature of the Son Jesus Christ–we did not pass a Creed at all. I am proud of the way my fellow Alexandrians and I stood up for our beliefs, yet I am disappointed in the fact that we did not even have the opportunity to vote on which creed to accept. The result of the day proved everything discussed to be pointless–all of the back and forth was for nothing because everyone had made up their minds on what they believed and what they needed to have included from the beginning of the Council.

I am fine with the term “begotten” being left in the Creed–it certainly was used by the apostles before us, written in the Scriptures, that Jesus Christ was eternally begotten. However I just cannot accept a Creed that does not clearly state that Jesus Christ is co-eternal with the Father, uncreated by the Father. Without these two distinctions the unity of our God is broken, and we are at too much of a risk of people believing us to be polytheistic. I think there is more value in everyone who signs the Creed truly believing fully the words within it than creating something that any errant thoughts or beliefs can fit under.

I worry that the whole ramifications of this Council are not being understood. Unity is the reason we have even come together. Unity is needed because as of now there is difference within the Church, differences that will not result in future unification. The future of the Church will be on shaky ground if we do not make clear the foundations of our faith.