Splotches and Stripes

image Tiny splotches of lit grass curve around the left tree in a semicircle. The sunlight hits the top half of the tree and is somehow making its way through the lower half’s branches, reaching the grass but not lighting the bottom half of the tree at all. The splotches have very soft edges. Because of the lower angle of the sun shining from the tree’s right side, the splotches on the tree’s left side are more elongated than the others.

No direct sunlight reaches the green between myself and the tree on the right, situated further away on the green. Stripes of lit grass surround this tree’s left side and the side opposite of the side I’m looking at.

I feel sleepy. The sun is shining through the arch to my left and hitting my eyes making them want to close. I’m experiencing this intense desire to go to sleep because of this low, late afternoon sunlight.

The splotches around the left tree have continued to elongate as I’ve sat here. The ones on the tree’s right have moved closer to the tree trunk while the one to the tree’s left have moved further from the tree.

There is now a large splotch of light on the green very far from the left tree, but I still think it is being created by sunlight coming through the branches at the top of that tree. This particular splotch has a much higher intensity of light than the other splotches closer to the tree, and I am not sure how that is happening. It’s as if the tree branches are serving as a gobo within a spotlight fixture casting this sharper-edged, more intensely lit splotch on the grass. image