Blue Shadows

Looking into the Modlin Courtyard from a bench outside of Jepson Theater 1:03

LObv 9.16

The light is very bright today. There are no clouds in the sky. The light looks like it coming at a little higher angle, but it might just be that the benches in the middle are moved from the position they had been in before (and the shadows are falling in a different way). The light is very white and bright, but it feels softer, warmer than before.

The shadows appear bluer than they had before. The visibility is still there for sure, but it feels darker and bluer than it had during my past two observations. It’s a blue, a light blue, not a deep blue, but the light definitely has a tint of blue to it rather than being just white. There’s a guy sitting outside at a table in the shade close to me, and all of his papers don’t look white but light blue. There’s also a tinge of blue in the highlight of his arm and on his glasses case, which is really interesting. The highlight on the benches a little further down and the one right in front of me are blue as well. I don’t know whether that’s because there’s a contrast between the brightness of the light and the shadow, but everything in the already shadowed area is appearing bluer to me than ever before. Yet, the stuff that is in the sunlight, the shadows of those things don’t appear blue at all, but the usual duller white light.

The light looks starker on the white pillars on my right extending away from me. The light seems to be falling very flat on them, and their shadows are dark (and not blue). I want to see the white light feels warmer (like I did before), but now that I’m sitting in it, I don’t know. The light may have looked warmer to me in the beginning when I just came in from outside (where I could feel the warmth of the light), but now, being apart from the heat of the light, it looks colder.

There are no clouds in the sky like last time I was sitting here, so I’m not sure if there’s going to be light shifts with clouds, but we’ll just have to wait around and see! (P.S. No clouds came, as expected.)

Less than 4 minutes in, I’m yawning and my eyes are feeling heavy and watery. But this sleepiness was only in the beginning, really. At the end, I’m feeling kind of boarder-line cold; I’m getting cold, and I’m starting to feel a little uncomfortable, so I would have normally put a sweatshirt on at this point. This coldness may also be because I’m in air conditioning and outside it’s so warm that I feel especially cold looking at the light (which upon revision seems to make no sense…?). Or my coldness may be affecting how I see or perceive the light outside because now it doesn’t look like a warm light to me like it did at the beginning.