Meeting Simulation

When comparing theories to my place of work this summer, I could not help but think about what it means to be a transformational leader in the context of business. Being an intern, I am the subordinate to everyone that I work with, making it even more interesting to see how they interact with each other. Everyone at Learners Edge, iteach and Teaching Channel were extremely gracious and caring, making sure that I gained the best experience possible. In particular, my direct supervisor and CAO Dr. Wendy Amato exemplified all that it means to lead and to transform. Transformational and transactional leaders was one of the most interesting sections in my theories class. Both the CEO and CAO were far from transactional. They both raved about each other and how well everyone seems to work together. The comradery of this group clearly starts at the top. Being an anxious person, it has always been tough for me to ask questions, but Dr. Amato always constructed, but cared about what I asked.

In an education context, there are incentives in work. There are people in sales departments, marketing and even course creation that all could be swayed by added incentives given to them by the higher ups in the company. This however is not nearly the case. There is no sense of competition, but more of collaboration. Using Dr. Amato as an example, there was a day where data input for coursework was necessary before the implementation of new courses dropped on their website. Everything was done incorrectly. Instead of assigning it to people in which she easily could have, she started doing it herself. Being able to do the grunt work, the mindless data entry shows everyone in the company that she is willing to work with even the lowest employee on the totem pole. Another example in which I absolutely love the concept is during one-on-one meetings. When she meets with one person, she has them stay on for a couple extra minutes to say hello to the next person coming in to meet. In a virtual internship this was super awesome! I got to meet people that I never would have, all because she simulated someone leaving her office and someone entering.