Theories in Action: Transformational Leadership Theory

Over the last ten weeks, I’ve spent a large amount of time analyzing the leadership styles of my colleagues while working as an intern for Leventhal, Mullaney & Blinkoff, LLP. Each of the firm’s three partners take on a leadership role of their own, while the firm’s office staff, interns, and clients fall into follower roles. As the only intern at the firm throughout the duration of my time in the office, I feel incredibly lucky to have been a follower to both of the firm’s primary attorneys, Mr. Blinkoff and Mr. Leventhal. I have truly felt like an apprentice, and my passion for the firm’s mission remains at its strongest. Given these truths, it seems appropriate to describe both Mr. Blinkoff and Mr. Leventhal’s leadership styles as transformational. 

Transformational leadership is best described through the relationship between leaders and followers that comes about as a result of it. Transformational leaders are particularly good at motivating and caring for their followers, identifying their strengths and interests, and developing them to their full potential. Followers of transformational leaders find their self-interests to align with those of their leaders and groups, and these followers become active contributors to positive change as a result. 

Mr. Blinkoff and Mr. Leventhal clearly exemplify this style of leadership in contrast to a more transactional style. The best evidence for this is my development throughout my ten weeks as an intern. Both of these leaders took a personal interest in teaching me as much as they had to offer about their areas of expertise, and in exposing me to as many new experiences as possible. I spent the majority of my first two weeks as an intern learning about what the firm does and how they do it, and during this time Mr. Blinkoff and Mr. Leventhal were sure to help me understand the importance of their work. By the end of my time as an intern, I was essentially functioning as a paralegal and was happily completing difficult work that I was proud of. As much as I feel I benefited from this experience, my bosses were happy to aid the development of a future lawyer and to have less work on their plates as a result of my participation. This, in my opinion, is a phenomenal example of transformational leadership.

Additionally, Mr. Blinkoff and Mr. Leventhal pursue transformational leadership throughout their regular work. Despite practicing a variety of kinds of law, the firm maintains easily identifiable shared goals and a close-knit work-place culture. Each of the firm’s employees play an active role in the serving of clients and in the completion of goals. Everyone’s tasks regularly change, everyone is made useful, and nobody is left discontent. Through strong teamwork and the maximization of everyone’s usefulness, clients are cared for very well. Given that the firm’s clients include local governments, among others, Mr. Blinkoff and Mr. Leventhal’s transformational leadership has positive external effects on New York communities as well. Seeing these positive outcomes, it seems clear to me that transformational leadership is an incredibly effective leadership style for both Mr. Blinkoff and Mr. Leventhal to use. As a result of their strong leadership, my experience at the firm has been nothing short of excellent.