Week 6: Personal Contributions

As my sixth week draws to a close in the General Management Corporate Internship Program at CVS Health|Aetna, it is apropos to comment on my personal contributions as I conjunctively embark on my application process to pursue a full-time offer within the enterprise. I am in the midst of assembling my final presentation, a 10-15 minute long presentation where I discuss my personal and professional experiences this summer. I will be presenting on August 2, 2021 in front of the program manager, program director, my direct manager, and some of my mentors this summer, and the presentation will serve as my “interview” for the full-time, 4.5-year rotational General Management Development Program. One of the prompts to help ground the presentation includes discussing your role objectives and deliverables. In reviewing some of my summer achievements with my manager, Paige, this week, I had the opportunity to reflect on my work product and performance and how my contributions impacted my team. Paige was adamant about the impact of one of my projects, specifically. I was assigned a weekly recurring project to analyze the membership enrollment and market share for the Kentucky Medicaid plan’s 250,000+ members and distribute actionable reports to senior leadership on our team. While it was simply my objective to analyze the membership and create reports, I exceeded my manager’s expectations by developing a new analysis tool for the weekly market reports that decreased the processing time from four hours to one hour weekly. In addition, I have begun researching, through state-operated databases, members terminated from Aetna Medicaid to investigate a line of sight for their membership. Since there is a state-run algorithm that determines which MCO a Medicaid member is assigned to, it is important for the individual MCOs to audit the algorithm to ensure it is working correctly and equitably. Paige expressed how she has been asking for years to establish a membership termination line of sight process but to no avail. I am happy I was able to help with this project throughout my time as an intern and look forward to seeing what my team can do next with this new information. 

I also want to touch on my personal contributions in regards to my position as a leadership major. My insights about leadership in the workplace have contributed to my interactions with my team members and to my work product, as well. I have been able to incorporate my opinions about improving leadership in a respectful manner that has been well received by my team. As I discussed in an earlier blog post, I believe my team would benefit from establishing a social identity that the group can be centered around. I have been able to share my academic/theoretical knowledge relating to the social identity theory of leadership as I make my recommendations. It has been incredibly rewarding to see my personal contributions to my team recognized and celebrated, and I have appreciated working for an organization that values every employee, regardless of their status or position.