Uncategorized

Transformational Leadership in Action / Week of July 25

According to Burns, transformational leadership is a process whereby followers and leaders help each other advance to higher morale and motivation levels. In other words, transformational leaders do not use a “give and take” approach (transactional leadership) with their followers but try to turn followers into leaders (or blur its distinction, at the very least). That is the form of leadership my mentor, Mr. Kugelman, has been applying to me most closely.

Mr. Kugelman’s transformational leadership can be detected in terms of his influence on followers. For instance, followers feel trust, admiration, and respect for the leader because of their commitment to helping the teamwork for more than self-gain. This has undoubtedly been the case for me. Mr. Kugelman agreed to help me diversify my writing abilities (as I am primarily used to long-form writing) and apply them to any topic I care about. Given the flexibility granted to me with the subject matter, it seems apparent that Mr. Kugelman used individual consideration (a key trait carried out by a transformational leader) to push me towards greater intrinsic motivation and self-development. Although not an official part of the internship requirement, this opportunity has translated to the eventual creation of an op-ed on South Asian affairs written by me. Had my mentor utilized a transactional leadership approach, this vital skill would not have been a part of my internship experience. Now, it stands at the center of the opportunities afforded at my internship that I hold most dear to me.

Another trait at the core of transformational leadership is intellectual stimulation – leaders push followers to challenge assumptions and nurture them to think independently and creatively. While my mentor certainly applies this theory towards me, it is also a trait that circulates the entire Wilson Center. Although my interactions with others working at Wilson have been limited owing to a remote experience during COVID-19, personal development programs are offered every few days to interns. For instance, any intern can register and attend international affairs conferences, webinars or participate in training sessions (for social media proficiency, to take an example). Such opportunities push followers (including myself) to challenge the status quo by remaining informed on current affairs while simultaneously providing them with tools necessary for personal success (and not necessarily the organization’s).