Reflection 7

Much of the work that I completed to date is focused on establishing the groundwork for imminent proposals by the association.  As an advocacy group for long-term care providers, PHCA’s work shifted to best support their members through volatile state and federal provisions and guidelines within the facilities. In addition to the increased risk and instability of these facilities, the workforce has diminished, as in other industries.  Resultantly, my ongoing research projects looked into nurse aide training programs and medication aide position qualifications in every state to amend the requirements of these positions in Pennsylvania.  For each of these research projects, I read other states’ administrative codes and department requirements for the program/position, compiled a summary sheet of the most common requirements, and relayed the most influential changes that could be made in Pennsylvania. The projection of this research is ultimately to be formulated into legislation to have permanent standing in Pennsylvania. This is especially important as these facilities are transitioning to be within compliance of “post-COVID” guidelines. Specifically, with regards to my research into medication aides in nursing facilities, I attended PHCA’s Workforce Committee meeting, where I was able to present the common threads among programs in other states to representatives from our membership. We were able to get feedback from these providers for consideration when looking to propose changes in Pennsylvania. 

Furthermore, I worked to apply my knowledge of leadership within the work setting through discussions with individuals about their work style as I helped with projects. The association is in the planning phase for the annual convention, and I sit in on the meetings to observe the process and team efforts. The leadership at PHCA approaches convention as an “all-hands-on-deck” team effort, which forces most of the staff to adjust how they work. Although there have been weekly check-in meetings since the beginning of my internship, these convention meetings differ in that they require everyone to share how they may approach the planning process, resulting in creative tensions. I spoke with my supervisor about these tensions, as well as individuals in the office, to better understand how to address it in work settings. I was able to speak to my knowledge of leadership as a potential driver for the tension, as most members in the office work alone. This collaborative setting, although not the primary way in which this office works, is necessary to see through the convention’s success. In this, I spoke to the necessity of strong leadership in these meetings, as well as prioritization of delegated responsibilities because most of the staff is more independent. I think these suggestions are beneficial and are to be implemented after the rough outline is agreed upon.