Uncategorized

Theories in Action #1 Post- Evyn Magenbauer

Working with Ashlawn Medical this summer has shown me how my Jepson education has prepared me for the workforce and will set me apart when searching for jobs post graduation. My Jepson courses have introduced me to theories and models that are applicable to all aspects in life- especially in businesses. My time at Ashlawn and working with an outstanding boss like Tim Rose has showcased how Fiedler’s Contingency Theory of leadership applies to Ashlawn Medical’s work culture and success. Fielder’s Contingency Theory states that people become leaders not only because of their qualities but because of various situational factors and the interactions between group members and the leader (Harwell PowerPoint slides). Tim Ross has great leadership skills and qualities. He has high emotional and social intelligence, he trusts his team, and he is charismatic. He takes on a transformational leadership style and is not a transactional type of person at all (which is ironic because he works in sales/on commission). For instance, Tim told me once “I would rather my employee drive 2 hours to a customers house to fit a brace and give high quality customer service and the customer not purchase the device than go to a clinic and make $1,000 of commission giving braces that does not fully satisfy customers.” Ashlawn’s customer service is at the foundation of their success. That is how Tim grew his business. Doctors like to do business with people who are easy to work with and comply to their needs. In Richmond, Tim has collected new accounts due to competitors providing poor customer service to accounts/clinics/hospitals and then getting a phone call to work with Tim. Ashlawn Medical has never ever lost an account that they have had due to their customer service. And Ashlawn’s’ pristine customer service stems from the great workplace culture which ultimately stems from Tim Rose and the way he applies Fielders Continency Theory to his leadership style. Like previously mentioned, Tim has great leadership qualities: likability, social, trustworthy, trusting, hardworking, inspiring, listening skills, etc. and the way he interacts with his team and treats his employees. He knows how to rally a group and can mold his leadership style to fit his employees’ personality/needs. Since Tim has created a mutual bond/trust between him and his employees, that same bond/trust is reflected between his employees and their customers. Tim’s ability to positively impact group dynamics no matter the situation along with his natural personality/ability to lead aligns him with Fielder’s Contingency Theory on great leadership.