Solving Problems/Improving Leadership

Second Week of Internship

This week was mainly focused on becoming more familiar with the filemaker and other company programs. I was given a lot more independence this week, as I learned how to do all of my jobs and work all of their databases and websites during the first week. We continued to put 9/11 responders who have recently passed away into filemaker in order for their names and information to be processed into the living memorial VOICES is creating. I also started a research project that I will be working on all summer. My focus is on COVID mindfulness and handling different aspect of life while in a pandemic. Right now, for this project, I am watching the webinars that VOICES has conducted with experts on mindfulness, reading the transcripts on these webinars, and taking notes. After I am done with this I will find different resources, experts, and videos for those interested in learning more about this topic and this will be posted to their website for the public to use. I was also in charge of contacting different news outlets in order to figure out how family members can change their loved ones pictures during the Calling of the Names that takes place on 9/11 every year. I contacted multiple people from different news outlets, such as CBS and NBC, in order to find out how to change these pictures and who to contact so we can rely this message to victim’s family members. I heard back from the CBS communication team and they told me that I would have to go through the 9/11 memorial directly. This was really useful information to learn, as VOICES was able to put this onto their weekly newsletters, so family members who wanted to change a picture of their loved ones that will be shown during the 20th anniversary ceremony for 9/11 know how to do so and it can be the picture of their choice. I have watched these ceremonies for the 9/11 anniversary in the past and have seen the pictures that that have been used, but I always thought it was the family members who have been able to choose these pictures, as I did not know many of them were pictures that the 9/11 memorial was able to find at that time. I am so happy that we can now provide information to their loved ones on how to change these pictures.