Theories in Action

Transformational Leadership at the Center for Bioethics and Health Law

This week was a very unique week for me at the Center for Bioethics and Health Law, as my actual working hours were greatly reduced in favor of my attendance at three virtual bioethics conferences/forums. The first was the ELSI Congress Virtual Forum, in which I attended keynote talks on DNA use by police, indigenous community rights, and 20th century US sterilization policy, amongst others. The second and third events were both conferences sponsored by the International Association of Bioethics. The Feminist Approach to Bioethics and the World Congress of Bioethics conferences centered their talks and research presentations on the concept of solidarity. Since this was an unusual week for me that focused more on the “extracurricular” parts of my internship, I wanted to use this reflection to discuss the ways in which the Center for Bioethics and Health Law, and more specifically my site supervisor, engage in transformational leadership.

First, and most related to the conferences I attended this week, the Center engages me with individualized consideration. I am frequently asked about my own interests so that the tasks that I take on are in areas that I am passionate about. Additionally, my site supervisor includes me in opportunities like these conferences or her Gender and Science Reading Group, which shows me that she is considering the ways in which I can be getting meaningful learning and experiences from the internship. While my attendance at the conferences will do little to advance my work, and actually took up most of my time this week, I will be able to use the skills I observed from presenters in creating and presenting my own research in the future.

Additionally, the Center encourages my intellectual stimulation, another hallmark of transformational leadership. I am not just pushing papers or doing busy work with them. Instead I am creating products that are my original work, like cover sheets to publicize upcoming virtual lectures. My site supervisor also gives me pretty free reign to accomplish my tasks with my own style, which gives me the ability to innovate and tackle challenges in the way that will be most successful for me.

My site supervisor also fills the third area of transformational leadership, which is idealized influence. Dr. Parker is an engaged and active member of the Center who serves as a role model for myself and others in how to perform within the job setting. For example, despite her many other responsibilities as Center director, she is also pursuing the possibility of a medical seminar that she would lead, a project that is similar to the type that would be expected from her colleagues and other members of the center. Finally, Dr. Parker also engages me with inspirational motivation by giving me both constructive praise and criticism during our meetings and follow up from assignments, so that I maintain my sense of purpose and drive with the Center. Overall, the Center engages me through transformational leadership in a way that encourages me to engage more deeply and passionately with my work.