The midterm exam in next Wednesday during the class period. I’m explaining the format here. Please look over the following post, and bring any questions that you might have to class on Monday.
The midterm will take the entire class period (75 minutes) and will have three sections:
I. Clip Identifications and Explications
You will be shown two or three clips, each of between 30 seconds and 3 minutes. For each clip, you should do the following:
- Identify the film’s title, director, and year of release.
- Discuss the clip’s stylistic features (for example: mise en scène, editing, narrative structure, etc.)
- Relate those features to the film’s overall style and meaning. How do these features reflect the historical moment in which the film was made or the stylistic movement of which it is a part? How do these features combine to suggest an overall approach to narrative filmmaking?
II. Reading Passage Identification and Explications
You will be presented with 2 or 3 passages from the readings. For each passage, you should do the following:
- Identify the title and writer of the reading
- Explain the point the writer is trying to make. How would you paraphrase the selection?
- Relate that point to the overall argument of the article or reading? What are the author’s main points in this article or reading? What is the passage’s relevance to the work overall?
You will be presented with some commonly used film terms define. A complete definition will be written in two to four complete sentences.
I’ll be sure to leave time for questions during class on Monday. Next Monday’s lab session will include a time for you to ask questions.