A Politicized Court

Chapter 14 focuses on the Court system in the United States. Supreme Court justices are often labeled conservative, liberal, or moderate and are appointed to the bench by the President in power. I believe it is important for these judges’ jurisprudence to be as moderate as possible given that their role is to interpret the Constitution and make decisions that affect the lives of all U.S. citizens. It seems problematic that many justices fall within the conservative and liberal categories and have track records that show votes strictly catering to the liberal or conservative ideology, as Irons showed of Justice Rehnquist. This leads me to think that SCOTUS justices are appointed to serve the interests of the person who appointed them rather than to serve justice for the people of this country.

Optimistically, “party-line voting” by Supreme Court justices may be attributed to each justices’ personal philosophy of jurisprudence – they genuinely believe their opinion to be the most just in each case. However, I think the appointment of judges with strong conservative or liberal opinions is problematic for our nation despite whether or not their opinions are genuine in the sense that I just discussed. Whenever a spot opens in the Supreme Court, everyone knows what to expect from each of the “candidates” for the position and the chosen man or woman is chosen to advance the political goals of the current President.

My opinion is that this system is flawed. There is no room for “politics” in the Judicial Branch.