Democracy in America

I remember my first exposure to democracy. It was 2005, and I was a young kid on a cold winter day in a New Jersey elementary school. George W. Bush was running for his second term and my school was running a mock election. I remember being excited as this was quite intriguing to me. When I was younger, I realized I was intrigued because it was a special occasion and I was young and naive. But, as I grow older, I have become increasingly interested by American democracy. As my knowledge on the subject of American government expands, it becomes obvious why American citizens are known for being immensely prideful of their country.

To begin, one may ask “What exactly is democracy?”. Well, we all know it’s a system of government that is ruled by the people. With a government being ruled by the people, it creates a landscape destined for pooled knowledge. Pooled knowledge, meaning the taking of equal opinion of everyone, highlights individual worth and equality within a country, which is a main stem of American pride. In addition, utilizing pooled knowledge yields the most right decision- what the people want is the right decision. Even though this decision may not alway be a good one, it is still the fair and equal way to make decisions on such a large scale. With the right decisions being made, legitimacy and quality of officials elected increases which leads to a more stable as well as long lasting government.

But what exactly ensures this equality? Democracy ensures it’s equality through the amalgam of popular sovereignty, political equality, and political liberty. All three of these components maintain stability in American government, as well as equality. For instance, popular sovereignty, also known as the sovereignty of the people rule, maintains the citizens voice in who runs the state as well as the government, through representatives whom they elect. This assures that the people’s voices will be heard when it comes to decisions being made where they call home. Popular sovereignty also highlights the next tool used to insure equality in American democracy: political equality. Political equality insures that each person carries equal weight in the government’s eyes. This is important for the sake of the citizens, in order to oppress no one due to their social, economic, racial, etc. status. Even more protection to citizens is granted to them through political liberty. Political liberty protects the people’s right to speak up against anything that they feel is wrong in the way they are being governed. This grants each and every citizen the protection to voice their opinion even if they are not a government official. We have recently seen political liberty utilized in the news in Charlottesville, Virginia. The Alt-right rally in this city demonstrated this group’s right to free speech. However, the outcry from many different sources, opposing this worldview shows that society can balance itself to reach equality through the rights guaranteed by the defining concept of political liberty. The equality that supplements democracy leaves copious amounts of room for freedom and political advancement.

The American democracy is truly an amazing thing. It allows for the citizens to be free while being sufficiently governed and utilizes equality in order to reach a right decision. The democracy ran in America is a very fair and stable way to run a government, and having it implemented where I call home is very reassuring.