Safford v. Redding (2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsqT-MOcTDs

On October 8, 2003, 13 year-old Savana Redding was called to the principal’s office at Safford Middle School (Arizona). The administration suspected Redding of possessing prescription strength ibuprofen as well as another prescription strength anti inflammatory. When the administration and school nurse were unsuccessful in finding any pills in Redding’s locker or personal belongings, they proceeded to perform a strip search wherein her breasts and pelvic area would be reasonably visible to the school nurse and assistant principal. Savana Redding’s mother filed a lawsuit against the school wherein she “requested monetary damages from the defendants for conducting a strip search of her daughter in violation of the Fourth Amendment.” After the federal district court found no constitutional violation, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed and the Supreme Court “considered the reasonableness of the search” and addressed the liability of school officials in such cases.

In my opinion, the ruling of this case is clear and evident. Redding’s reasonable expectation of privacy was breached when the school officials conducted a strip search of her, especially after having found no evidence after searching her other belongings to suggest that she would be concealing the pills in her undergarments. Justice Thomas, in his partial concurring/partial dissenting opinion, argues that simply because school officials were unsuccessful in discovering pills in their initial searches of her belongings does not mean that there was not reason to suspect that she would be concealing pills beneath her undergarments. Justice Thomas continues to suggest that the Court is in no position to second guess the practices of the school officials in regards to maintaining order and quiet in a school environment. While I am not a Supreme Court Justice, I have spent over 10 years in the public school system and can honestly say that there are certain officials and certain practices that are not successful in maintaining order in the school environment. While I am sure that the school system appreciates Justice Thomas’ sentiments, I believe that it is the job of the legal/justice system to make sure that the practices of various institutions are not in violation of the constitution as I believe the Redding case was.

While I understand and appreciate that the school officials were interested in pursuing a safe learning environment for all students, I believe that their practices were excessive and unconstitutional in this case.