Abby Secamiglio Week 2

Reflecting on yesterday’s class, I love the approach of teaching vocabulary through various methods. Drawing conclusions about the pictures in relationship to the vocabulary words was a fun activity. While looking at the pictures, students must think about experiences and events that are related to the words which provides the students with a deeper understanding.I very much see myself trying this in my own classroom one day. The graphic organizers allow room for student creativity and also allow students to define the vocabulary in their own words. Along with the graphic organizers, asking the students to provide examples and think of a personal connection will solidify these meanings more authentically for the students. I believe these activities are much more meaningful and memorable to students, and therefore will be easier to learn.

I enjoyed the pre-assessment activity because it allows students to demonstrate their knowledge in a more creative way, that is also less stressful for the students. I remember during elementary school I would often get test anxiety and therefore perform lower. I want to use these assessments to guide instruction and allow for differentiated instruction if necessary rather than just to put a grade in the gradebook.

One Comment

1. Lynne Bland Lynne Bland

Hi Abby, I like the connections you made to yourself regarding the pre-assessment activity. Knowing how your students must feel when they have to take tests can make you more empathetic! It can also lead you to think of other ways to assess students that can still provide the data you need about their growth. I hope you remember this experience when you have your own classroom one day. Our students need to learn in environments that are not only physically safe but emotionally safe. Thank you for your reflections. I wonder…how do you feel about the way you will be assessed in this course? Lynne