Technology memories

For the last two hours, I have tried to get certain features on my computer to work, unsuccessfully. My space bar has yet to work correctly…

I find technology difficult!

I needed to upload a paper on blackboard an of-course conveniently blackboard has been updating for hours.

Why is it not available at all times? 

This sounds like a selfish question, yet I am wondering why I received no warning the cite would be down. 

It seems reasonable to send an alert…

Technology has never come easy to me. I struggled with navigating simple tasks, and even my typing skills are Operating my phone and laptop has always posted a struggle to me. My parent retired their flip phones in the last few years, and growing up; we were never a technology-savvy family; I have been steady iPhone users for the past few years. Yet, I am frustrated with apple products…I am on my second iPhone, where the home button has decided not to work.

Whenever I have technical problems, I begin to reminisce on my sliding text-bar pocket phone. My middle school phone was my favorite thing. The photo quality was HORRIBLE, yet there was something so simple in just pressing buttons and no apps…

Sometimes, I feel like my life in the past ten years has been a huge technology change. When I first entered middle school, the flip phone was craved.Then came the razor’s, then sliding text phones, paired with the most popular the blackberry. By the time I entered high school, everyone had an iPhone, and at the age of 16, I had my very own iPhone. I miss the simple times of technology, everything now seems so progressive, and I find my self at times, feeling so far behind on terminology alone.

Last week my uncle got married. He is in his 50’s and has never adjusted to technology. He refuses to text and still carries his flip-phone around. At his wedding, he took out his flip-phone to take a picture of a wedding detail. I looked at him, thinking, why? There are photographers here to take pictures!  But, there was something so pure of his ability to capture memories without so much technology involvement.

Technology is great in so many ways:

• email is the best
  • storage is amazing
  • wifi is the best
  • communciation is helpful

Technology is so helpful in my everyday life, yet I miss simpler technology times.

3 thoughts on “Technology memories

• February 22, 2020 at 4:38 pm
    Permalink

I love technology. Except when I can’t make it work for me (see my post on our learning platform, Canvas). You have my sincerest apologies, Amber: I assumed you would be able to make our presentation in Hip Hop work easily because you are young. Shame on me! I am sorry.

• February 27, 2020 at 8:44 pm
    Permalink

I, too, like technology. I recognize its complexity and struggle to manage, rather than be managed by, my devices and networks. When technology fails, or does something unexpected, it’s jarring. By learning to take apart computers, and by teaching myself how to install wired and wireless networks, I’ve found myself unafraid to play. Being willing to play with technologies is an important aspect of literacy — I just don’t know how to prove it!

• February 27, 2020 at 9:09 pm
    Permalink

P.S. Don’t forget to add a category to your post. You can go in and edit the post to do so. I’d say this is a field response or a practice response.