“Honey, you have got to learn!”

I have enjoyed reading the feministic article for class soon. I find it interesting how inter-twined communication and feminism themes can be. In reading the article, my favorite line was “the default body (usually meaning a white, straight, able, male body).”(25)The constant divide and comparison between men and women in society have already inquired me, and looking at over the vast years; women have had to fight for many rights. In my undergrad studies, I wrote multiple papers on topics relating to feminism in politics and culture between races. After undergrad, I compiled all the essays I had written, compiled them into a book format…one day, I would love to have it published. The research in feminism is so different than so many other areas of study and so diverse! The gender roles in my family have always been the typical, the husband and breadwinner, and the wife as a stay at home mom. This was the environment I grew up in yet; I am so intrigued by the women who truly embody the pride the feeling of being a woman but setting themselves different, taking on new challenges the..

• Amelia Earhart
  • Susan B. Anthony
  • Rosa Parks

These women worked to defy class and social boundaries and were truly an inspiration. I also thought of Julia Childs, the famous chef who broke barriers to establishing a name for herself. These women are so interesting because, like Julia, they defied their gender roles, although, still was very much in touch with them. With the thought of Julia and my recent viewing, “Julie and Julia,” I was inspired to do something that genuinely terrifies me…cooking! As cooking is a stereotypical gender role of women, I feel I should have some institution yet; it seems to have skipped a generation for me. For Valentine’s day, I got the idea to begin conquering my fear and cooking for my fiance and me. My friends began sending me “easy recipes.” I went to Kroger and babbled to the cashier my idea when he asked my plans for the evening. The elderly lady behind me in line began giggly and quickly spoke up saying 

“Honey, you have got to learn!”

Well, fingers crossed, my simple pasta turns out to be okay..and edible! It seems to be taking awhile as I patiently wait. As I cook, I always begin to wish my college roommate would start whipping together a Cuban dish that took no time and was consistently incredible! Being able to cook would give me a greater sense of my embodied feministic role as a wife, yet not cooking also gives me a sense of feminism that just because I am the women doesn’t mean I should have to know how to cook or practice it!

Frost, Erin A. “Apparent Feminism as a Methodology for Technical Communication and Rhetoric.” Journal of Business and Technical Communication, vol. 30, no. 1, 2015, pp. 23–45., doi:10.1177/1050651915602295.

2 thoughts on ““Honey, you have got to learn!”

• February 18, 2020 at 7:15 pm
    Permalink

I appreciate that you’re tackling Meg’s reading for us next week. Be sure to ask Meg, Jocelyn, and Meghan about reading feminist theory last semester. We read excerpts by Audrey Lorde and Mary Daly, both of which challenged our perspectives on gender and sex in communication.

As you continue posting, work to integrate some of the guidelines of Plain Language in your posts: headings, subheadings, bulleted lists, and a conversational tone that’s willing to use contractions.

• February 22, 2020 at 2:48 pm
    Permalink

Amber, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the article I chose to share. I can’t wait for our discussion on Tuesday night.