Need to share large files with a large number of folks? Drop Box is for you!

Drop box is a free* web service where you can back up files, share files with others, and as long as you have an internet connection, save files to this location.

And it is simple simon to use.

And you can download the software to multiple computers and log in with the account you created.

How much easier can it get?

To get started, first visit Drop Box’s website to download the software:

https://www.dropbox.com/

1.  Download the software by following the links. Drop Box works on Windows, Macs, and Linux systems.

2.  Create an account – give yourself a password.  When you log in for now on, you will use the email you provided as a user name and the password you just created.

3.  And that is about it.  For Windows users, a drop box icon will appear on your desktop; for Mac users, you will be asked where you would like your drop box icon to live.

So how do you share files with others?

1.  Double-click on the private folder.

2.  Right click on the file you would like to share.

3.  Choose Drop Box.

4.  Click “Copy Public Link.”

You’ve now just created a hyperlink to the file (even though you can’t see the link until you paste it somewhere).  Within an email message or another document, right-click and choose paste – you have just pasted a direct link to that file (try it here:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3262389/dropbox.doc)

This works very similar to our current Nefiles sytem, except you have the opportunity to share files with folks who do not have Richmond accounts – maybe you are in a dual-degree program and want to share files with colleagues at VCU;  perhaps you’re working with Professors across law schools.  This is a quick and easy way to share files.

If you’re working on multiple computers, this is also an easy way to work on files across platforms.

And lets not forget about a nice place just to back up your My Documents folder!

*Drop Box provides 2GB of space for free – you can have a lot more; it will just cost you a bit.

9 Responses to “Need to share large files with a large number of folks? Drop Box is for you!”

1. Joseph says:

helo. I’am french so i don’t understand all the sentences but in french i can say “yep ! votre website est tres cool” ;-) I hope that frensh people become like you !

2. Britney says:

I would love to write and say what a great job you did on this, as you have put a lot of work into it.

3. viagra says:

Came across your blog when I was searching yahoo I have found the bit of info that
    I found to be quite useful.

Thanks

4. ipad craze says:

I truly think that the ipad is going to be sweeter than the amazon kindle. I in truth adore the specifications & the feel of the ipad.Thank You for this stunning post.

5. Ive been following your blog posts for quite a few weeks; and im enjoying reading most topics.

6. Thanks for sharing this info. It is exactly what I was searching for.

7. aijunkary says:

And that is about it. For Windows users, a drop box icon will appear on your desktop; for Mac users, you will be asked where you would like your drop box icon to live.

8. Kimble says:

With the recent security breach with Drop box, I’m not sure if I want to have my personal files on there. But again, this could of happen to any of the cloud services out there. I would rather have my files in the private cloud that is my PC. The internet is readily available everywhere nowadays that I can have access to my PC any where I go. This way, I don’t have to worry about paying for space.