Who am I?

Dr. Kristin Bezio is an Assistant Professor of Leadership Studies at the University of Richmond’s Jepson School of Leadership Studies.

She teaches Leadership on Stage and Screen; Critical Thinking; Leadership in the Humanities; and a Freshman Year Seminar titled Games, Game Theory, and Leadership Studies.

Her research interests include game studies, early modern drama, and (naturally) leadership studies.

You can also find her online as a contributing games editor at The Learned Fangirl and on Twitter as @PlayLeadership.

Recent Posts

TLF – Memory Lane: A Review of Gone Home

So I finally got around to playing Gone Home, mostly because I put it on my syllabus to force myself to play it (in that “I keep meaning to but just don’t” kind of way – not the “oh god don’t make me” kind of way). My review of it is up on TLF, and it’s mixed.

My students’ reaction was also a bit mixed. Some of them got very immersed in the atmosphere, so much so that I had a few afraid to finish it in the wee hours of the morning because it made them feel like something was going to jump out and get them. I had others who were just confused, since they didn’t really feel like they were actually playing anything. And others who were bored, wanting something interesting to happen or wanting some kind of specific choice to make that would matter in the long run.

But it keeps coming up in class. Today we started Portal, and they immediately compared the narrative and exploration mechanics in Gone Home to the (lack of obvious) narrative in the first 10 rooms of Portal – although we’ll see how that comparison continues as the game develops.

1. Hedging our Bets: Kotaku on Sarkeesian Leave a reply
  2. AIP/TLF Dragon Age Inquisition: Day by Day by Day… (Six) Leave a reply
  3. A Tiger Can’t Change Leave a reply
  4. TLF: Ripped from the Headlines (SVU) Leave a reply
  5. SVU Does GG Leave a reply
  6. TLF Playing God: A Review of Godus Leave a reply
  7. Get Rid of the Black Marker: A Post Against Censorship Leave a reply
  8. AIP/TLF Dragon Age Inquisition: Well, THAT Happened (Five) Leave a reply
  9. AIP/TLF Dragon Age Inquisition: Making Friends and Influencing People (Four) Leave a reply