Nazi propaganda of the Axis forces during WW II and now the use of propaganda in American government are we moving towards Orwell predicted future?
Thesis: information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely tohelp or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation,etc.
Quote of importance on propaganda/mind.
Needs: better wording, transition sentences, overall everything needs to be improved XD.
Issue: Propaganda justifies war which is a disturbing and just chaotic thing no matter how noble the cause. Human lives are lost in millions. This propaganda warps the true history and nature of war/bloodshed and makes people support it. Citizens are left in the dark. Helps the totalitarian government stay in power the spread of Nazism created close to dystopian societies. So are we on our way to this state of chaos and oppression?
Benefits: true perspective on wars/others how to stop this.
Relevance: dystopia is the result of people rising to power during crisis such as war that is on a global scale. Propaganda to maintain power and support. Relate/parallels to 1984.
Problem: Privacy vs. Safety, freedom of speech/knowledge vs. order.
“But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.” This quote of George Orwell from his famous novel 1984, is a short, but brilliant summary of what propaganda does to the thought. Propaganda, according to the Webster’s dictionary, are ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one’s cause or to damage an opposing cause. During World War II, a global war that occurred between 1939 and 1945, the two alliances that formed amongst the worldwide countries, the Allies and the Axis, both sides used extreme amounts of propaganda to raise morale of their own troops and country, to lower the enemy morale, and to just spread detrimental rumors and to dehumanize the enemy. Both sides were in a state of total war which meant that they utilized their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities for the war. Millions of people died, and unspeakable horrors such as the Holocaust and the atomic bombings occurred. Nazism thrived during this time and through the masterful use of propaganda and force led to the rise of Hitler.
Hitler’s Reign (how it is supposed to be organized)
-techniques /execution (how to spread/maintain propaganda)
-consequences (how it affected the citizens/etc)
To Hitler and the Nazi Party, propaganda was the governing philosophy, not merely a means to an end but an end in itself. The Nazi idea of propaganda encompassed everything. It was actually what the regime was founded on. The Nazi party depended completely on a sophisticated mixture of ideology and methodology. Everything was related to propaganda. Military strategy in itself was an exercise in propaganda, and it also explains why at the battle of Stalingrad the Nazi made the decision to hold it to the last because of its symbolic resonances. The propaganda controlled the political and military strategy. It was more than a tool. Considered to be an essential core to the survival of the regime, the party even made groups designated to spreading grafﬁti and spreading rumors. They wanted complete dominance of the idea in the country. What was created was in the end a parallel universe of imagery and symbolism that brought confusion and left the citizens in the dark who were only fed the fake stories or the half-truths. All forms of intelligence were warped for the sake of propaganda and to make sure that people would not rebel. Education, for instance, with its classes on race theory was a branch of propaganda that was instrumental in the drive to an all-embracing militarism. With mathematics classes could be focusing on calculating the angle of attack of a dive bomber. The German campus was thoroughly de-intellectualized. The only reason for advancement or for knowledge is for war.
A key aim of Nazi propaganda was to project Hitler’s carefully crafted images. He was the center of the propaganda. He conveyed himself as the ‘ascetic’ Adolf, the austere bachelor with Germany as his bride, the People’s Kaiser, mystical diviner of public will, priest-king, heir to Bismarck and Frederick the Great, Marshal and soldier which was all implied in the idea of the Fuhrer. One major goal of the propagandists was to make the image of Hitler ubiquitous in Nazi Germany through posters, magazines, newsreels and entertainment. Through propaganda they also made sure that the grievances that surfaced were packaged and used for their own means. They created a feeling of unity through the hatred. Part of the contemporary relevance of the phenomenon of the Selling of Hitler is that it shows us how easily grievance, legitimate and illegitimate, can be twisted into a sense of tribal or national oppression so powerful that it bursts out into a rage of destructive aggression against the so called “perpetrators of the injustice” which in this case was the Allies.
CORE IDEAS: l
-leader (big brother/hitler), solidarity .
-To be cohesive, a group has to have an identity of purpose and a perceived commonality of origin – at least to gain the extreme cohesion that the Nazis cultivated
The individual was no longer alone in the world, but a member of tribe to which he was united by ties of blood, of inherited folk wisdom, culture and history, and passionate antagonism to all that threatened these bonds,
– they were capable of deftess, nuance: a balletic performance in the manipulation of human psychology
(elaborate on above ^ and tie it to the horrors committed by the Nazis)
Big Brother’s Reign (how it is supposed to be organized):
-techniques /execution (how to spread/maintain propaganda)
-consequences (how it affected the citizens/etc)
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.
(Need transitional sentence) War Is Peace is the belief that when two countries are perpetually at war they are actually at peace. The war never brings real danger to any of the mainland of Oceania. In this state of war, all the sides’ citizens are at peace. The only reason for war is to be used as a destruction of produce. Propaganda is used to make people believe that production rates have gone up when the rations and such are constantly decreasing. (Overprotection of goods can cause equal distribution of them which is bad because it will lead to socialism. Believes that throughout all of recorded history there has been three distinct classes of citizens: The High, The Middle, and The Low. The High always wishes to stay high. The middle is never contempt with being the middle, and eventually displaces the high. The middle then breaks off into the high and middle again and the process is started over again. The Low usually wants to destroy all such classifications and create true socialism. INGSOC knows what it wants. It is the high, it wishes to stay high.) <- shorten. The way it does it is by keeping it’s middle and low in constant drudgery. Falsify information (propaganda) to make it seem as if it is always getting better (through double speak it is).
Freedom Is Slavery means that as an individualism will kill you (promoting unity within the state and hatred against the enemy). When you join the Party you are immortal. You are part of a collective culture that will live on forever.
Ignorance Is Strength is the idea that by keeping the people ignorant, they will not realize what is really going on.
Destroys all data that could prove the situation otherwise.
The Party keeps The Proles ignorant by keeping them content.
-liberties like love, having a family, and sexual relations
How they control using propaganda:
– Posters everywhere
– Hateweek/2 minute hate for an outlet
– Scrape goat of Goldstein for unity of state
– The ministries:
– (these are definitions found online make into own words)
– Minipax supports Oceania’s perpetual war.
– The primary aim of modern warfare (in accordance with the principles of doublethink, this aim is simultaneously recognized and not recognized by the directing brains of the Inner Party) is to use up the products of the machine without raising the general standard of living. Ever since the end of the nineteenth century, the problem of what to do with the surplus of consumption goods has been latent in industrial society. At present, when few human beings even have enough to eat, this problem is obviously not urgent, and it might not have become so, even if no artificial processes of destruction had been at work.
– The Ministry of Plenty rations and controls food, goods, and domestic production; every fiscal quarter, the Miniplenty publishes false claims of having raised the standard of living, when it has, in fact, reduced rations, availability, and production. The Minitrue substantiates the Miniplenty claims by revising historical records to report numbers supporting the current, “increased rations”.
– The Ministry of Truth controls information: news, entertainment, education, and the arts. Winston Smith works in the Minitrue RecDep (Records Department), “rectifying” historical records to concord with Big Brother’s current pronouncements, thus everything the Party says is true.
– The Ministry of Love identifies, monitors, arrests, and converts real and imagined dissidents. In Winston’s experience, the dissident is beaten and tortured, then, when near-broken, is sent to Room 101 to face “the worst thing in the world” — until love for Big Brother and the Party replaces dissension.
– Enforces the idea of double think:
- The keyword here is blackwhite. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink. Doublethink is basically the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
- — Part II, Chapter IX — The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism
– Thought police
Orwellian Aspects of American Government (how it is supposed to be organized) :
-similarities with nazi/1984 in terms of propaganda
– reasons for propaganda
It is noted that while lobbyists amplified their constituents’ power and influence, the methods they employed using false and misleading information cast doubt on the ability of ordinary citizens to participate in democratic politics.
– Money/lies/citizens in the dark
– Use surveillance cameras/phonetaps/etc
– Safety vs. privacy and freedom of speech/thought vs order.
– Need to find more sources directly on American propaganda.
– Modern technology is great
- can be a dangerous weapon of mass destruction/mass control.
- In 1984 Orwell showed a world in which the people are under the control of the government through surveillance.
- Thought Police watch the people through telescreens, microphones and helicopters.
- Many people do not believe this will come true because they do not see it happening. But if you look at the current state of technology you will easily see that it is being used, and that it is easier than ever.
- Many private companies are using these systems to watch both their property and their employees.
- Surveillance devices so small that it is now possible to make a camera and a microphone fit into a very small hole in the wall. Some companies are selling cameras disguised as smoke detectors. Police admittedly use small microphones as ‘wires’ to get confessions in undercover operations.
– The “Internet” is the newest buzz word running around, and with it comes new controversies over online surveillance.
– In 1984 the government, or “The Party,” controlled the past. They were able to destroy all proof that something did or did not happen.
– Do this with even greater ease today. Since most information is now kept ondisk, and backed up onto even more magnetic media, one could simply destroy all areas where the data said that someone had existed.
– The only problem would be finding the newspapers and other references, which could be taken care of by agents of the government.
– The Social Security System. We now are required to receive serial numbers before a certain age so that we can be catalogued for this service
– This seemingly innocent indexing of people has turned into a major privacy crisis.
– Our Social Security number is now used for everything.
– We now have problems with people looking up our credit history using this one number.
– They do not even need our permission.
– At the time it seemed like a great idea.
– If it isn’t bad enough that they admit they want to catalogue their citizens, our government basically admits that they need to watch them as well.
– A bill sent through Congress which would force telecommunication companies to place a chip called the Clipper Chip into all of their products.
- allow the government, with two electronic keys, to watch our telecommunication transactions.
- An act called Digital Telephony. This bill states that the government will give a certain amount of money to large telecommunication providers to rework their networks so that the government’s men can attach themselves and listen to our private conversations
- Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Bibliography: (need to format)