Are you looking for a simple introduction to a discussion about Abraham Lincoln? Look no further! Before your next U.S History lesson about our famous president, Abraham Lincoln, read A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln, written by David A. Adler and illustrated by John & Alexandra Wallner, to learn all about America's 16th President.
This wonderful book follows the life of the popular president, from his childhood on the frontier to his assassination after the end of the Civil War. Adler uses simple pictures and writing to engage young readers in a short biography about Abraham Lincoln. Adler(1989) writes, “Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 in a one-room log cabin in Kentucky”(pg 1). So begin a discussion about honest Abe in your class room today!
Curriculum Connections: In the area of U.S History and Social Studies, the Virginia SOL’s for grades K-1 stresses the importance of introducing students to Americans in history whose lives demonstrated the virtues of patriotism, courage, and kindness. A Picture book of Abraham Lincoln is appropriate for multiple grade levels and could be used to directly address SOL’s K.1, K.2, 1.1 and 1.2.
If you would like to create some American history sense in your classroom here are a few suggestions for grades K-3:
- Read the book out loud and ask questions throughout.
- Begin a discussion about past events and explain that history describes these events.
- Ask opinions of your students: What did Abraham Lincoln contribute to our country?
Additional Resources: Try these websites where you’ll find lesson plans, worksheets, activities and free online games to aid in your U.S history education quest.
- Apple 4 the teacher - a link that takes you directly to Abraham Lincoln coloring pages, for K-1
- A to Z teachers stuff - build Lincoln’s log cabin with pretzels and icing!
- All about Lincoln – a link to a Lincoln biography with several direct links to printable worksheets, coloring pages, online games and activities directly related to our 16th President.
- Lincoln crossword puzzle
Book:A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln
Author: David A. Adler
Illustrator: John & Alexandra Wallner
Publisher: Holiday House
Publication Date: 1989
Pages: 26 pages
Grade Range: K-1